Lerins Abbey in Cannes
France is rich in monuments of culture and architecture with ancient history. Catholics from all over the world come to the country in order to bow before the outstanding shrines. One of them is Lerinsky Abbey on the island of Sainte Honor (it is 3 km from Cannes). The abbey has a rich history, famous residents, later saints. The architecture of 86 buildings impresses not only with its unusualness, but also with its age. Millennial towers, fortresses, chapels became the decoration of the island. Silent monks cultivate the land, growing grapes, oranges, lavender. Many wanderers come to the island for monastic wine and liquor. An interesting episode of life on the island is the “festival of silence”, the participants of which can be only a couple of dozen present at the Cannes film festival. They share a vow of silence with the monks, retiring to Saint-Honor. Lerinsky Abbey is a national monument of France, which is visited by believers from all over the world and connoisseurs of ancient architectural structures. “The ferry is sailing, the water is singing …” (how to get there) Since the abbey is located on the island, communication with it takes place by ferry. To travel by ferry you need to get to Cannes, then drive to the Croisette. At the beginning of the embankment there is an old port, from which the ferry leaves for the famous island. He makes his flights from 9:00 to 16:30 every hour or two. In the months of the influx of travelers, from May to October, the number of flights increases. The cost of a visit to the abbey (prices for transport and souvenirs) A ferry ride on both sides will cost between 15-16 euros. Buying tickets in advance is not necessary. Entrance to the church is free. Accommodation in a hotel on the island costs from 50 euros per day. The most expensive pleasure is the wine of the monks: its cost starts from 125 euros per bottle. Probably quality justifies the price. From sunrise to sunset (time to visit) A visit to the island begins with the first ferry, and ends with the last. For those wishing to attend the service, we inform you that the first starts at 7:40, and the last – at 17:30. Divine services are held almost every hour. Sign up for a wine tasting in advance and specify the time of its holding. By prior arrangement, an excursion to the museum takes place on the island, since it is conducted by the monks themselves. Temporary boundaries of rest (how much time to plan) The island itself is small in size: one and a half kilometers in length. Getting around it in a day is easy. Allow daylight hours from the first ferry to the last for a walk around the abbey. If finances allow, spend the night in a hotel. Take a break from the worries and worries of modern life. Lerinsky Abbey is a place that will not only cleanse the mind of unnecessary information, but also calm the mind, put thoughts in order. The history of the “island of saints” In the distant 410, Honorat of Arelatus arrives on the uninhabited island of Saint Honor, off the coast of Cannes, in order to retire from the world and people. The island was not popular among the Romans, because it was chosen by snakes for its residence. But not only they became neighbors of Honorat. His followers went after the hermit. The swarming clubs of snakes were exterminated. A source of fresh water was found. This is the second miracle created by Honorat on the island, according to legends about him. So the community was created. The history of Lerinsky Abbey begins with this fact. The first monastic charter in France, the Rule of Four Fathers, is drawn up on Honorat Island. After 4 centuries, the abbey with five hundred inhabitants becomes one of the most influential monasteries in Europe with impressive land holdings. The raids of the Saracens in 732 decided the fate of the abbey. The monastery was looted, the monks with the abbot were killed. Elener, one of the surviving monks, is building a new monastery on the ruins. Tragic events literally haunt the Catholic monastery. Spain in 1047 annexes the Lerins Islands and captures the monks, taking them to Sicily. After a while, the captives are redeemed by Saint Victor, rector of the Marseille Abbey. The island is fortified with fortresses with towers. The raids of the Spaniards and pirates more than once became the cause of the destruction of structures on the island. However, the inhabitants of the holy monastery were distinguished by hard work, so each time they restored it destroyed by barbarians. At the end of the 11th century, a fort of 5 floors was built to protect against invasions from the sea. It contained a library, chapel and refectory. At the same time, the main monastery building was under construction (in 1789 the building was destroyed, since the monastery was closed). By the 12th century, the abbey is becoming a popular pilgrimage destination. From the 11th to the 17th centuries, 7 chapels were erected on the island. The French revolution did not bring anything good to the measured and calm life of the monks. The relics of Honorat from the monastery (and the remains have been kept in it since 1391) are transferred to the Temple of Grasse (the relics are still there), the monks are driven out, and the monastery building is sold to Mademoiselle Sainval, a rich actress. From the monastery, she made a guest yard, where she lived for about 20 years.