St. Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral in Nice
St. Nicholas Cathedral is the center of the spiritual life of the Russian colony in southern France. This is an object of cultural heritage of the two powers. The interest of tourists, believers, clergy, activists, officials and art historians does not diminish in him. Refined, proportional, of impressive size, the temple was built in the “old Russian” style. The colors of the church are in harmony with the climate of Nice: a pale shade of brick cladding, a majolica of green-blue tide, white stones. The decorative wealth of the twin towers is striking. The walls of the cathedral contain many events, tragic and vivid. Unique are the shrines of the sights. The icon of Nicholas the Wonderworker is honored to be entrusted to the lectern. In memory of P.A. Stolypin on the left side of the salt in the icon case installed the icon of the Apostle Peter. At the right side of the salt is the image of the Mother of God of “All Who Sorrow Joy.” For the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty, the church received the original icon of the Archangel Michael from the sketch of the famous L.A. Pianovsky. The edges of the cathedral iconostasis are decorated with two icons of the patron saints of Nicholas II and Alexander II. Duke G. Leuchtenberg gave the church an icon of St. Alexander Nevsky. Also, tourists and parishioners of the church have the opportunity to visit the Museum of the Russian colony, located in the church crypt. The cathedral is a small island of the motherland for the Russian diaspora in France. The road to the Russian temple (how to get there) The famous Orthodox church is located near the center of Nice and its railway station at Nikolay II, Boulevard Tsesarevicha 17. Only about 10 minutes walk from the station – and you are at the gate of the architectural monument. You can take the 71 or 75 bus to the Tzarewitch stop. Open doors sights of France (opening hours) The temple opens the doors for parishioners from 9 am to 6 pm. From 12:00 to 14:00 the cathedral closes for a break. On Mondays, he begins his work at 14:00. From July 2016 on Saturdays in the church at 18:00 there is the All-Night Vigil, confession. On Sundays at 10 a.m., the Divine Liturgy begins, the hours for confession are 9: 30-10: 00, and the hours are at 9:40. Baptism, consecration of homes, memorial services and other ceremonies are performed on all days of the week, except Sunday. Pass to the cathedral and the Museum of the Russian colony is free. The entrance is free. How the chapel became a beautiful cathedral (a little history) Now St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice is in the jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate), belongs to the Korsun diocese (Paris). It is rightly considered the largest Orthodox church in Western Europe. In the center of Nice on Lonshan Avenue on the territory of the Sardinian kingdom in 1860, the church of St. Nicholas and Alexandra was built. In 1865, Grand Duke Nikolai Alexandrovich died in a villa in Bermon Park from a long illness. Alexander II redeems the mansion, and on March 14, 1867, the construction of the St. Nicholas Chapel begins. A couple of years later, on April 7, 1869, they consecrate the chapel. The architect D.I. worked on the building project. Grimm Built by Francesco Botta in the Byzantine style, on a raised platform, painted by A.K. Fisher, the marble chapel was striking in its beauty. Doors made of bronze – the work of Nicolas Rosier. The construction of the building cost 140 thousand francs, 70 thousand of which were given by the emperor. A specially created committee looked after the chapel. The authorities of Nice call the nearby avenue Tsesarevich Boulevard (later it is called Tsarevich Avenue). A marble slab was built into the floor of the building, exactly in the place where the bed of the dying Nikolai stood. Three years before the construction of the chapel, Archpriest Sergiy Lyubimov informed Maria Fyodorovna, who had arrived in Nice, about the intention to build a new cathedral for the Russian diaspora, since the old church had become too small. The empress was inspired by the idea, finds the means to design the building, becomes the patroness of a new undertaking. The project is headed by a professor at the Imperial Academy of Arts in St. Petersburg M.T. Preobrazhensky. The only thing left was small: to find money for the construction itself, land and the head of a grandiose undertaking. Maria Fedorovna petitioned Nicholas II, and Bermon Park was allocated for the project. On the anniversary of the death of the prince laid the first stone. The work began under the direction of Hippolyte Chevalier from the Central School of Architecture. The soil of clay, gravel, sand required an increase in the stability of the base. Contractors and managers change several times. The representative of the school of fine arts of the city of Marseille Fomberto is replaced by Lucien Barbet from the College of Fine Arts in Paris. On April 12 (25), 1903, Archpriest Sergiy Lyubimov laid the first stone of the church. The guests present were from the royal family: Princes Mikhail Mikhailovich, Mikhail Nikolaevich, Grand Duchess Anastasia Mikhailovna, Duke George Leuchtenberg, Princess Beatrice Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Duchess Maria Edinburgh, Prince Bulgarian Ferdinand. The construction plan was developed by Preobrazhensky.